March 14, 2013

French Artist Covers Half of a Hotel Room in Graffiti

French graffiti artist Tilt has made quite the decor choice in a Marseille, France hotel room, aptly named Panic Room. After being asked to decorate one of the guest suites, Tilt decided to cover half of the room in graffiti, while leaving the other half a completely blank canvas.



Tilt explains, “The hotel Au vieux panier asked me to design a room, I first told them that I wasn’t interested doing just decoration in the room but I wanted to create something that will look more like an installation. I thought about it also as a huge canvas where I needed to think about the composition and play with the empty white part of the room to accentuate more the idea of Chaos on the other part.”

It took one week to complete the project. Tilt says the idea was to exaggerate the graffiti you usually see on abandoned buildings, “Too much tags, too much drips, too much sentences, too much throw ups. What I also wanted to show is that people can appreciate any type of graffiti, even the more basic, it’s just a matter of point of view.”